Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Countdown to Three Rivers Art Festival…Three Days Left! "The Lily Pad Broke And..."


It Ain't Gonna Rain No More...

This is kind of an onsite plein air piece. About once a week, I have to check on things at my mom's home in New Orleans. When I do, I always try to set up a luncheon with an old friend or peruse the city for interesting things to paint.

There was a show of paintings at NOMA in City Park that I was interested in seeing. It was by an illustrator that, in a series of small paintings, documented a local celebrity chef named Leah Chase. The show wasn't what I expected, but any visit to this art gallery is worth the trip.

And it is free, on Wednesday.

Anyway, I happened to have my easel and paints with me, so I dove in and painted this lily and its "pad" from the huge fountain in front of the museum. I didn't do a very good job of painting the scene because I felt rather conspicuous playing artist in front of this huge, beautiful building. Luckily, it was only my insecurities that got in the way.

 No one stopped to look over my shoulder.

After about an hour, I decided to pack it up and drive back home before the commuter traffic started. Lucky for me, I decided to take a few shots with my... ahem, clamshell cell phone because months later, I visited the park and found the fountain was gone.

I don't know if it is being refurbished, replaced or just discarded, but one thing was for sure, the lily pad broke and hopefully, the frog split before falling and receiving the embarrassment of getting "water in his eye!"

So, here is, waiting to be displayed in my tent this coming Saturday and Sunday at the Three Rivers Art Fest on the downtown streets of Covington Louisiana. Waiting for whomever finds it as intriguing as I do. For info concerning the festival, go to:

                                                                       http://www.threeriversartfestival.com


A giant lily and it's pad, captured beautifully for posterity!


Copyright 2013/Ben Bensen III

2 comments:

  1. No, I didn't sell it… What'dya think about that? Many participants lamented the lack of sales this year and one fascinating "booth mate" said it was the worse year of all at this festival.

    I did sell one painting though, entitled,
    "Lazy Lagoon."

    ReplyDelete