Sunday, June 22, 2014

"This Guy's In Love With You"... And, The Purple Drugstore!

He thought it was "schmalzy, but so what...
It was 1969 at the Katz and Besthoff drug store on the corner of Broadway and St. Charles Avenue. It was across from Dominican College, where my then, girl friend, went to school and worked. There was a juke box inside. On her lunch break,  we'd occasionally have a malt and a burger and for a quarter, I believe, you could play three tunes. I'd always play BS&T's Blues Part II, Creedence's, "Susie Q", and "This Guy's In Love With You!"


For the record, on this date in history: June 22, 1968- "This Guy's In Love With You" by Herb Alpert hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David and the record produced by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss.

It was not only Alpert's first No. 1 single, but it was also the first No. 1 single for his A&M record label. The song held the #1 position on the Hot 100 for 4 weeks, and also spent ten weeks at No. 1 on the Easy Listening chart. 
Herb Alpert's Singing Debut...

It was kind of a "schmalzy" song, and not all that well sung, but the song became one of Therese's and my favorites! I liked it enough to have Edgar Winter, my then, brother-in-law, show me how to play it on the piano...

And, I still remember how to play it... I'm such a sentimentalist!



Copyright 2014/ Ben Bensen III

No comments:

Post a Comment