Monday, June 28, 2021

"Not Really, I Just Like The Color!"


 


Good "bottom of the ninth" Monday, y'all.

So funny. A few days ago, I happen to pass by a dude headed into the Covington City Hall ostensibly to pay a bill. He looked at me and I looked back at him, nodded and said, "Good Morning!"
We both stopped momentarily in the parking lot as if one of us was gonna say something important.
Looking at his retro Cincinnati baseball cap, I said, "You a Reds fan?"
"No, I just like the color."
"From that part of the world?" I asked.
"No man, I'm from Bogalusa," he said with a smile.
The dude had the baseball cap placed on his head kinda off to the side. I could tell he wasn't much into the sport by the brim of his cap. The brim was flat like if he had to catch a fly ball, the cap would certainly not help him.
He was wearing an untucked, collared white shirt with loose fitting red basketball shorts that stopped at the knees. The rest of the look included white calf length socks and bright red Nikes.
"Don't watch baseball much?"
"No... I just like the look!" he said with a bigger smile.
We then just stood there... in the parking lot... with nothing else to say.
"Well, I said as I was slowly walking toward the car, "Have a good day!"
But then, a thought popped into my head that I just had to convey. Besides,"Have a good day?" Really?
With a smile, I turned back around and said, "Well, you really look like the ultimate Cincinnati Reds fan. Did you know that they are the oldest franchise in baseball?"
" I didn't know that!"
"Yeh, I said. They were formed back in 1881 as the Cincinnati Red Stockings!"
After another momentarily awkward brain freeze, he said, "Cool, I didn't know that, but...
"I just like the color!"

Copyright 2021/Ben Bensen III

No comments:

Post a Comment