Saturday, April 29, 2023

“It's Guy Deel, dammit,” I said to myself "...







Good Friday Morning, y’all.

“Guy Deel!”
“Guy Deel, dammit,” I said to myself as I drove to Giddy Up yesterday morning.

In a conversation with some friends on Wednesday, one friend mentioned that her husband loved to read novels about the Old West. I believe we all arrive at that topic because Dennis’s wife loves the Rodeo Channel and old Westerns.

“Well, Frank loves to read Western novels by Louis L'Amour, and that McCarthy guy,” Maureen said.
Attempting to participate in the conversation having never read one of the many Louie L’Amour books, I said, “Oh wow. I knew one of the Illustrators that actually painted covers for Western novels.” I know that he painted quite a few Louie L’Amour covers.

“Yeh, his name was…”
At that point, I went blank as Maureen appeared a bit miffed that I had hijacked her story with a story that I couldn’t complete. I apologized and then, just listened to the many stories that cropped up over a second cup.

I sat there ruminating over my entire relationship to a man that I first met, mid semester at Art Center, as a replacement for George Bartell, who’s young son suddenly died in a skateboard accident. I was not a big fan of Bartell’s style of illustrating. It was sad that George had lost a son in such a way, but I grew to like this new teacher’s style.

I think I got an “A” in that class… Ha!

Every now and then, later in my career, I’d bump into the man at one LA art function or another. He, like I, was an artist for the Air Force Art Program, (with 17 paintings created as a member from 1978 to 2000) and that’s where I really got to spend some quality time with him over the years.
But, for the next 24 hours, I struggled, in vain, trying to put a name to the art and the face of someone I knew well enough to call him a friend, and one of the many who had an influence on me and what I wanted from my art.

I remember him telling me about getting the details of your painting correct right up front especially historically. "The right pistol in the wrong holster just won't do to those who are knowledgeable buyers!"
Guy nodded in affirmation when I mentioned that aviation art is very much like Westerns.
Then, out of the blue, for no reason whatsoever, the man’s name popped up out of my head… 

Guy Deel. What a deal!
First cup before the deluge!

No comments:

Post a Comment