Wednesday, September 27, 2023

" Don't Look At Me,"

 

"Don't Do Like They Used To!"

Good " Don't Look At Me," Sunday Morning, all bodies.
Last night, after that LSU debacle, we settled in on a baseball game. I sensed that Tee didn't want me to return to the studio after dinner. All through the baseball game, our dawg was stalking Therese's left over potatoes.
He was told, way too many times, to go sit, but his "MO" is to wait a few minutes and jump off the sofa pretending to be thirsty. He'll take a perfunctory sip at his water bowl and then, as if no one is watching, plop himself at Tee's feet just under the table that holds the potatoes. I casually point to the sofa and he acquiesces, but five minutes later, he's thirsty again.
It reminded me of the game I played pitting wits between my mother and Pierre.
"Mom, don't feed the dawg," I'd say.
"I'm not!"
Naturally, the discussion has to end there otherwise we'd have a yell fest, which wouldn't help anyone's digestion! Even though mom knows I know she does feed the mutt, she tells me she doesn't. Pierre circles the table like a shark waiting for his chance to attack.
"Pierre, go away," I'd yell.
He uses his patented "thirsty pup routine" and then, moves in for the umpteenth time. In the corner of my eye, I see my mother lean over to stealthily drop the dog another tidbit, saying...
"Don't look at me, Murgatroyd! Benny told me not to feed you!
Mom always referred to that moniker with disdain, or when she couldn't remember a person's name.
Ah... such memories!
Finally, after the ballgame is over, Therese gets up and returns her plate, with the uneaten potatoes, to the kitchen counter. Taking his chances that I'll yell at him again, he slips off the sofa and follows Therese's every step. Then, he puts on the cocker spaniel charm and looks up to her longingly.
From across the room, Tee looks at me with a smirk and says to the dawg...
"Don't look at me, Pierre, Benny told me not to feed you!"
First cup...

Copyright 2023/Ben Bensen III

No comments:

Post a Comment