Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Go On And Let Ya Backbone Slip"... Happy Mardi Gras, Y'all!





This is my mom. She's eighty-nine years old and although, at this age, age matters, today is Mardi Gras and everyone throws care and aching joints, out the window! These videos and pics were taken by a friend of mine, Julia LeMaire, a nurse who comes to the Senior Center in Mandevile, LA to take blood pressure and heart rates every Wednesday. Her mom sits with my mom for hours, playing games that don't require much balance, coordination or stamina...

Bingo, dice, and cards...

I wasn't even at this Mardi Gras celebration and, had I been, mom still would have boogalooed her old bad self to the dance floor. Most of the time, mom teeter totters her way around eschewing the use of a cane, a walker or a rotator. But, it seems, whenever there's music, their hearts get to thumping, the blood gets to pumping and they're off.

My mom's not the only one!



But, she rarely remembers the details of how my father would take her out dancing just about every weekend. When someone asks her about her "dancing partner" she's says that he hurt his hip and doesn't dance anymore. ( My dad died in 2000 from a blood clot in his calve! ) Mom hasn't dance with anyone except, occasionally, me or my brothers.

It's funny how some folks just have to express themselves through dance expelling all of life's demons as they move to the beat of the drums and their hearts...

Rock on, mom... and Happy Mardi Gras to all ( even the non-dancers, ha! )

Copyright 2014/ Ben Bensen III


No comments:

Post a Comment