Friday, July 23, 2021

"Wow, Safe At Home Again."

Safe at Home!

 Good Friday morning, y'all.


Gotta find a way to get into the studio today. I spent one afternoon rearranging work stations to make things easier to move around in. But, I have to crack open the tubes of paint to find out if it truly works.

The image of home plate on a sidewalk brings back so many memories. There are lots of allegorical stories, plays, poems and such about the game and the symbolism of being safe at home. The one that sticks in my mind involved my older sister.

It was a time when kids played with jacks, fiddle-sticks and marbles... and hopscotch.

To me, hopscotch seemed a girly game. At the age of five or sixth, that was my perception. To my sister, as long as she had girl friends from the neighborhood around to play, she was fine, but she always recruited me when there were no friends around.

I didn't want to play and I didn't want to play until she came up with an idea. I don't know if mom was a part of this devious scheme, but it totally changed my attitude when Adele took a piece of chalk and drew a home plate on the sidewalk to replace the number one. What a great way to start and finish the game.

Wow, safe at home again. The trials and tribulations of life, All those numbers, maintaining one's balance and trying to hop over the white clam shell that marked the square you couldn't step on. Home was the place to be!

If baseball is life, maybe... hopscotch is too!

First cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment