Thursday, July 29, 2021

"Baseball Trading Cards... Repurposed!"

Trading Cards...

 Where did the "weekend" go?

Well, okay... Good Morning, Monday, all bodies!
Nick Pechon, created a fun project and asked me to participate. When he explained his concept to me, I thought it was hilarious and just had to play the "Junk Era Gems" game.
The concept is to repurpose old and at one time slightly valuable baseball "trading" cards. Nick sent me a Frank Viola card ( I remember him! ) in the mail to trade one of his abstracts at 2.5"x 3.5" with one that I'd create on a gessoed card that he also provided for me.

I remember the Twins and Met's Pitcher, Frank Viola!

Nick's abstract offering for a trade!

I thought about painting a kid's bicycle wheel with trading cards clothespinned to the spokes, but it was too difficult to do at that size. I definitely wanted to keep my vision baseball oriented. I decided to paint from my "little league" files a scene that kids, who played the game, created to pick sides and win home team status.
Leave it to kids to invent a game within a game. Anyway, I named my creation, "Pickin' Sides" and mailed it back to Nick. It seemed to arrive in good shape.
Nick showed in his original post some of the boxes of baseball trading cards he knows not what to do with...
"Hey, Nick, checkout my son Brian's collection!"
Man, he was SOOOOooooo, into it. The three long cardboard boxes in the upper left of this photo is completely filled with cards... baseball, basketball as well as football...

Our little entrepreneur!





Copyright2021/Ben Bensen III

No comments:

Post a Comment