Tuesday, February 1, 2022

"A Garage Band Reunion"...

A garage band reunion...

 Good “mundane Monday Morning, y’all.

Well, at least, it does seem that way!
It was a nice way to momentarily put away the grief of losing and burying our little pup on Thursday. On Friday, we were invited to a Memorial Mass at St. Ann’s in Metairie to celebrate the life of Patti Smith Cook, M.D. who passed away at 89 years old. For those who are interested in all of her incredible accomplishments, for instance, she was a judge for the US Figure Skating association for Pairs, Freestyle, Moves, and Ice Dancing until her death, and actively skated those disciplines until 2009,
Therese’s brother Jimmy asked us to join him and his wife, Wanda, for a lunch at a small Italian restaurant called, “Sandros.” Tee and I had not been there in quite some time, and it was just what we needed. Good food and great conversation… One on one!
When we came home that evening, we reluctantly began the process of taking down and putting away the Christmas decorations… I know, I know. It's about time, right?
Therese had planned weeks ago, to share her gingerbread “expertise” with our sister-in-law, Laura Bensen, Saturday afternoon. It certainly wasn’t what I had in mind. So, I took the chance of calling my musician buddy, Reggie Scanlan, in the hopes that he was in town and willing to share a lunch with his desperate old pal.
Lo and behold, he was available for that eventuality. I then decided to give my cousin, Glenn Fortier, a call to once again join us for lunch. For whatever “insipid” reason, he always turned me down, but…
But, this time, Glenn agreed to join me.
I was ecstatic. You see Glenn was the drummer of our four piece garage band, but to my knowledge, had not seen Reggie play bass guitar with the band called The Radiators or even seen him in decades. Once we got passed New Orleans’s Covid requirements at the Hi Hat restaurant, we had a ball.
Reggie’s got so many stories from his past playing bass behind so many great musicians, I wanted Glenn to hear some of them and possibly share some of his musician days.
I think two years before Therese had her bout with pancreatic cancer, Reggie was diagnosed with the fourth stage version. So they also have that in common including the brilliant Doctor John Bolton as their surgeon. Returning to pick up my wife and some gingerbread cookies, I dropped off Christmas decorations and my older sister’s fake tree that we didn’t wanna keep though we still had not put away our own decorations.
On Sunday, we went to Gus’s for breakfast to see the old gang and thank Paula Alario for her love and care of Pierre all these years. Paula has had to have put down four dawgs and a few horses over time. Later that day we watched some great football with a roaring fire in the fireplace and attempted to reluctantly put away the rest of the Christmas decoration…
We did… First cup!

Copyright 2022/Ben Bensen III
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment