Saturday, March 5, 2022

"A New Kinda No Fly Zone!"

One of the seven panels in a brochure...

Good Saturday Morning, y'all.
From 1978 to 1981 I was employed at the electronics division of General Dynamics. Jack Leynnwood got me connected with a head hunter named, Helen Edwards after I complained to him about my struggles to make any head way with my Art Center degree.
Two weeks before my interview, Helen Edwards instructed me to get a haircut and purchase a suit. I told her that I had just purchased a three piece suit for a job working as an editorial illustrator at a local bank.
In less than one month, I was hired as a graphics designer and tech illustrator. Fast forward to 2022 and my world of realities past have resurfaced in the form of the Javelin and Stinger weapons system.
At GD, another designer and I, created ads and brochures advertising the merits of the shoulder held surface to air weapon.
Although Stinger has been provided to the many insurgent groups fighting in civil wars, when we were creating the ads, both weapons, the Viper ( later the Javelin ) and the Stinger were considered a potent defense for NATO against the Russian buildup of tanks and the helicopter gunship, the MI-24 Hind.
If you look closely, senior GD illustrator, Ed Ramstead, who got all the juicy assignments, has a Russian gunship downed by the Stinger missile... And of course, the silhouette of another Russian aircraft is being targeted!
But, of course!
And now, several nations like Germany, Lithuania and the U.S. announced that they were providing the new and improved Stinger missiles to the Ukrainian forces defending against the Russian invasion.
A new kinda "No Fly Zone" deterrent. Hopefully, shipments will arrive there in time, but honest, "is this trip really necessary!"
Second cup!


Copyright 2022/Ben Bensen III

No comments:

Post a Comment