Tuesday, March 14, 2023

"Wanna Read The Paper," He Asks?"


 Good "early morning shout out" Tuesday, y'all.

Tom Burns one of the many octogenarians that, on occasion, shows up at the opening bell and beats me with his buddy, Herb, to my favorite chair. It's a friendly competition... GRRRRRR!
The diminutive Tom, I'm told, is a retired judge which is maybe the reason he keeps it close to the vest. On this day, Herb did not show up so, Tom's hiding behind the newspaper, every now and then, taking a sip of his coffee. Nothing is said.
I guess, nothing needs to be!
Twenty minutes later, Tom gets up, gathers up the local newspaper and tosses it onto the table that separates us.
"Wanna read the paper," he asks.
"I'll just leave it here for you," he says as he moseys on over to the microwave oven to warm up his small cup of coffee.
As he's waiting for the microwave to do its thing, I venture to make a comment.
"You do that often, don't ya?"
He grabs his paper cup, pauses for a moment as he attaches the plastic top back onto his cup, and then, heads for the door, turns, smiles, and blithely says," I don't care for cold coffee!"
The newspaper is the St. Tammany Farmer and as I page though the different sections, I noticed an article that interested me.
About two months or so, Tee and I met a good friend, Peggy DesJardin, at a downtown grocery store. We stood out in the parking lot as she spoke of spearheading the building of a labyrinth in Covington for Lent.
There's lots of history behind labyrinths. The stories abound, but my knowledge extends only with artistic and graphic versions. Apparently, there's much more to it, but for the sake of this post, I just wanna thank Peggy for her tenacity and resolve in getting this approved and completed. Pretty cool...
Lately, there are many things that I say I'm gonna do, but don't!
Props to you, Peggy...
Third cup!

Copyright 2023/ Ben Bensen III



No comments:

Post a Comment