Saturday, April 30, 2016

"Mudbug Madness"...

Ten pounds bought and I ate five!
It's all you can eat catfish or crawfish for a Friday night special at a local restaurant called, "Scoops" here in Folsom. LA. We got to the restaurant around seven and got the last ten pounds they were gonna serve tonight.  

I have a Facebook friend from Sweden and when I posted the picture, she saw it and said they serve 'em up annually around August. I didn't even know they had crawfish ( as we pronounce it here in 'da Bayou! ) in Sweden. I asked her how do the Swedish prepare such a delicacy and she replied, "We boil them with salt and lots of dill and eat them cold with toast or bread and an assortment of cheese and perhaps a salad. Sometimes here in the north, where I live now, we make a cheese pie of Västerbottenost, a local stronger cheese."

"When I was a child we went fishing for crayfish with my grandfather, who always pulled up his own from the lake where he lived. Sweet memories! Also, there is a saying in Sweden that "kräftor kräva dessa drycker", that is,"crayfish requires pilsner and schnaps" to be properly enjoyed!"

When my Swedish friend inquired about our recipe, I unloaded all the things one would put in the pot. Well, we boil them with salt too, but we add lots of seasoning such as cayenne, cloves, marjoram, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, paprika, etc. in a cheese cloth bag and throw it into the boiling water. That was the old country way. Nowadays, there's a commercial seasoning packet that you use to add it with the crawfish. Then, we add coarsly chopped up celery, lemon, onions, garlic, sausages, corn on the cob, small red potatoes.

Beer is the libation of choice, I told her.

She laughed and mentioned one day getting together to "compare notes!" Well, I am part Swedish!

Copyright2016/ Ben Bensen III





smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment